Friday 2 January 2015

Hot Pepper Jelly, Crouch End, London


A recent trip to London saw us searching Crouch End for somewhere to have breakfast. Despite a seeming abundance of cafés in the area, there weren’t many that offered anything like a vegan breakfast. Finding a cooked vegan breakfast normally involves subtracting items from the vegetarian option, but often that doesn’t leave much on the plate and I always resent paying the same price when the dearest items (the egg, the Quorn sausages – why always Quorn!?) are taken off.

In the end we returned to a small café we’d been to on a previous trip. Hot Pepper Jelly, named after the jam they make and sell, is a lovely, snug spot and we were lucky to get a table given how popular it obviously is on a Sunday morning. It’s not an exclusively vegan or vegetarian joint, but don’t let that put you off.

The last time we were there I had to do the usual thing of having the vegetarian breakfast without x, y and z. I was thrilled to see that they’d renewed their menu and now had a specifically vegan breakfast, along with several other vegan options for breakfast and lunch.

While the homemade hash browns were a bit herby for my tastes, the inclusion of Linda McCartney sausages, the saviour of many a vegan breakfast (and lunch, and dinner, and snacks throughout the day), was very welcome. It certainly was a hearty meal, if a bit pricy at around £8.00 – but I guess that’s what to expect in London, and went down well with a cranberry juice and a Matcha soy latte.

I’d love to go back again and try some of the other vegan items on the menu. If you’re in Crouch End and looking for somewhere to eat I can definitely recommend Hot Pepper Jelly.

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, I like that this is an option. My brother just moved from that area. I think more places are thinking of vegans in their menus and hope that continues. Also sadly £8 is about right for a cooked breakfast in London, so glad I am not there anymore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I think that's about average for a lot of the country, and for the quality of the food it's well worth it.

      Delete